We are a small, but very friendly camera club based in the Dearne Valley in South Yorkshire which encompasses the towns of Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster. We have been a club since 1951, and have maintained a loyal membership through many difficulties including venue changes and the recent disruptions over coronavirus.
Many members are skilled users of post-processing software. They can teach you how to edit your photos and boost your creative skills to produce some of the best photography around.
We have access to lighting and backdrops to develop portrait/fashion photography and hold studio evenings at the village hall, along with using lighting set-ups to develop skills in table-top and still life photography.
Many of our members are very knowledgeable in different genres of photography covering landscape, fashion, modelling and portrait photography, wildlife, still life, candid and contemporary photography. You can learn how to:- arrange, frame and compose your shots; work with light, reflectors and filters; edit your images, and process / print them; mount and present your photographs professionally - ready for exhibition and competitions or for hanging on your wall. There is always someone who will help and advise you.
DVCC is affiliated with the YPU (Yorkshire Photographic Union) and we encourage our members to submit images to the annual YPU Exhibition.
In our sympathetically run and supportive venue: Billingley Hall, we have fantastic facilities on hand – a fully equipped kitchen (and catering staff as necessary), a licensed bar, modern bathroom facilities and two separate meeting rooms.
We hold events such as:
• Lectures and tutorials;
• Studio Portrait sessions, with professional models;
• Members’ Homework events (show and tell sessions where members are set a topic, then they present their work to the group – in a very supportive and positive learning environment);
• Invited Photographers and Speakers
• Individual support for members in using post-photographic processing programmes;
• Local, friendly competitive fun sessions with other clubs nearby;
• Professionally judged internal competitions;
• Support for members to enter outside competitions if they so desire;
• Community work - see full details
• Social events
• All-year-round activities for members: Winter – in venue/online meetings / Summer - Fully planned Summer Syllabus with at-location meetings for photography opportunities around our area
We were quick to respond to the health situation of the 2020 pandemic because many of our members fall into the ‘vulnerable’ group, at which time we went online. The future of the club is now assured with a new planned mix of online and in-person activity, allowing us to cope with any future lockdown type events.
See our Current Activity Calendar - further details including meeting times and additional resources are available in the members pages for our paid members.
The club has developed into a fully democratic organisation where our members play an instrumental role in programming, policies and events.